The continuous improvement of road transportation facilities and the construction of highways and railways have made our lives more convenient and fast. The construction of roads is inseparable from the road roller, so what kind of road roller is good? There are many factors to consider when using a roller for road construction. How can you avoid bumps and cracks? How to make the roadbed more stable? In this blog post, we’ll discuss the different sizes of rollers and help you choose the one that best suits your needs!
What kind of roller should be selected for road construction?
The types of roads are different, and the types of road rollers used are also different. The following will introduce the road rollers required for the construction of several common other roads in detail.
(1) Asphalt concrete pavement: The road roller’s weight, amplitude and vibration frequency should be selected according to the paving thickness of the mixture. Usually, a full-drive vibratory roller should be used. A full-drive roller can be chosen if the road surface is compacted and levelled. In areas where the compaction capacity of the roller is not high, the roller with lower line pressure and flexibility can be used. To achieve the compaction effect as soon as possible, a large-tonnage road roller can be selected to shorten the construction period. In addition, note that if the thickness of the layer is less than 60mm, it is better to use a small vibratory roller of 2-6t with an amplitude of 0.35-0.60mm, to avoid the phenomenon of stacking, wave and damage to the aggregate; At the same time, to prevent the asphalt mixture from being too cold, rolling should be carried out immediately after paving. For thick layers greater than 100mm, large and medium-sized vibratory rollers with high amplitude (up to 1.0mm) and 6-10t should be used.
(2) High-grade highways, such as first- and second-level national trunk roads and automobile-only roads: In addition to ensuring the stiffness, strength and stability of the roadbed and pavement, the construction of such highways must also have good flatness, anti-skid and anti-penetration properties. The use of full-drive heavy-duty vibratory rollers for compaction can give a flat and solid road foundation; the use of tandem vibratory rollers to compact the road surface and the use of tire rollers for sealing can obtain a smooth and stable road structure; the use of tire rollers, the uniform compactness can be obtained, and the tire-type road roller will not destroy the original viscosity of the soil during rolling so that each layer of dirt has good bonding performance. The front wheel can swing, so the compaction is more uniform; there will be no false compaction.
(3) A tire-driven tandem vibratory roller can be used for cement concrete pavement.
(4) For the bottom layer of the advanced pavement subgrade, it is best to use a tire roller or a tire-driven vibratory roller for compaction to obtain a uniform density.
(5) A static-action smooth roller can be used when repairing the road surface.
How can the road be paved adequately without bumps and cracks?
(1) Using a road roller, a road roller can help smooth the surface of the driveway and make sure it is level. Choose the right roller; if you choose a too small roller, it will not work correctly. If you choose a too large roller, it will be difficult to manoeuvre and damage your driveway.
(2) Use a tamper. A tamper can help compact the soil, ensuring no air pockets and creating a solid foundation for your driveway.
(3) Evenly laying, when applying the driveway, it is important to spread it evenly; this will ensure the strength and durability of the driveway.
By following these tips, you can ensure your driveway will be paved adequately with no bumps and cracks!
What are the factors that affect the compaction of the roadbed?
Influence of water content on the compaction degree of roadbed
The rolling work done by the road roller needs to overcome the internal frictional resistance and cohesive force between soil particles before the soil particles can be displaced and approach each other. The internal frictional resistance and cohesive strength of soil increase with the increase of compaction. Of. When the water content of the soil is small, the internal frictional resistance between the soil particles is considerable. After the compression reaches a certain level, the compaction work of a road roller of a specific cargo can no longer overcome the resistance of the soil, and the dry bulk density will not increase; when the water content of the ground gradually increases When, water acts as a “lubricant” between soil particles, reducing the internal frictional resistance of the soil. It is not that the higher the water content, the better because when the water content of the earth continues to increase to or exceeds a specific limit, although the internal frictional resistance of the soil is still decreasing, the volume of water continues to grow, and water is incompressible. Therefore, under the same compaction work, the dry bulk density of soil gradually decreases.
Influence of the thickness of the rolling layer on the compaction degree of the roadbed
The curves of compaction function and compaction effect show that the optimal water content of the same soil decreases with the increase of the process, while the maximum dry bulk density increases with the rise of the function; under the condition of the same water content, the higher the position, the higher the soil density. According to this rule, the compaction function can be increased in engineering practice (the cargo is fixed, and the number of rolling passes is increased) to improve the strength of the subgrade or reduce the optimal water content. But it must be pointed out that there is a specific limit to improving the resilience of soil foundation by increasing the compaction function, and the effect will be slower when the part rises above a particular limit.
Influence of compaction machinery on subgrade compaction
Compaction machinery significantly influences the compaction state of subgrade soil and pavement materials under a specific moisture content. Light-duty road rollers can only obtain a small degree of compaction, while heavy-duty road rollers can obtain a greater degree of compression. The actual depth is also great.
According to the different soil quality, choose separate rollers.
Light-duty and medium-duty smooth drum rollers can be used for pre-compression; ordinary medium-duty soft drum rollers are more suitable for compacting low-cohesive soils and non-cohesive soils; heavy-duty, smooth drum rollers can compact viscous soils, vibration. The type of road roller is ideal for compacting low-viscous soil, gravel soil, gravel material, crushed stone mixture and various binder treatment grading anibratory rollers have a high compaction function and generally have a frequency modulation device, which can be adjusted to different degrees of no vibration, weak vibration and strong vibration according to needs. Therefore, it can be used as a light, medium and heavy road roller. It has the advantages of light weight, small volume, high speed, high efficiency and flexible operation. Material.
Thanks for reading, and you are welcome to join the discussion below!